On 28th September, a 7.5 magnitude earthquake struck Sulawesi, an island in Indonesia. The quake was followed by multiple aftershocks and triggered a tsunami with waves ranging from 6 metres tall. At least 2,000 lives were lost and over 4,600 people have been heavily injured, recorded by the Indonesian government. Nearly 68,000 houses were severely damaged, and about 211,000 people have been displaced.
Countless people lost their homes and loved ones over the sudden disaster. Survivors were left with no food and electricity for days. Public facilities such as medical facilities were damaged, aid agencies fear an outbreak of communicable diseases. CEDAR has allocated funds to support a local Christian organisation, PESAT, on responding to the needs of survivors. In the emergency phase, we distributed emergency aid items in 4 villages in central Sulawesi, which benefited 1,347 families. In the second phase of response (beginning in December 2018), we focus on assisting affected communities on their livelihood, educational, and psychosocial needs. On the other hand, CEDAR has also allocated funds to support the work of Integral Alliance (IA) members: the cash transfer programme of Food for the Hungry and the post-disaster restoration work of World Renew.
- CEDAR Staff Revisited the Indonesian Earthquake and Tsunami Region to Witness the Revival of Livelihood | 2019/06/19
- Indonesia Earthquake & Tsunami Relief Enters New Stage CEDAR Continues to Help the Affected on Recovery | 2019/02/20
- CEDAR’s Chief Executive and Staff Visited Sulawesi Devastated by Quake and Tsunami to Discuss Further Response with Partner | 2018/11/16
- Urgent: Indonesia Earthquake and Tsunami Relief | 2018/10/03
*Integral Alliance is a global alliance of 23 Christian relief and development agencies, working together to present a more effective response to poverty worldwide. CEDAR Fund is one of the member agencies.
(Please specify: Indonesia earthquake and tsunami relief)
After donation, please send a completed Donation Form, enclosing with cheque, bank-in slip or screenshot of successful payment along with your name, contact phone number and mailing address to us via mail, email or WhatsApp.
- CEDAR is an approved charitable institution and trust of a public character under section 88 of the Inland Revenue Ordinance. Please visit Inland Revenue Department website for details.
- Donations over $100 are tax deductible in Hong Kong with our receipts.
- Please DO NOT fax any donation information.
If the donation exceeds the above mentioned allocation of funds, the excess amount will be transferred to CEDAR’s ‘Emergency Relief and Disaster Preparedness Fund’. The fund will enable us to respond to immediate needs, and support disaster mitigation in poor nations always being hit by disasters to reduce the amount of devastation.