Banner image: This was taken when an IA member organisation visited refugees in Bangladesh. The site was filled with makeshift shelters Rohingya build for themselves
In August, the Rohingya people received attention from the international community once again. Since late August, violence and conflicts in Rakhine state, Myanmar have caused at least 620,000 Rohingya to flee to Cox’s Bazar in the southeast part of Bangladesh.
According to the United Nations, there are about 1.2 million people – including the 200,000 Rohingya arrived before the new influx in August and host communities – in need of assistance.
Christian Commission for Development in Bangladesh (CCDB), a local Christian relief organisation in Bangladesh, told us that many Rohingya families have established themselves in spontaneous sites and lived in temporary shelters built with bamboos and tarps. Besides the highly overcrowded environment with poor hygiene condition, the makeshift shelters are vulnerable to fire, heavy rain and strong wind.
To respond to the urgent needs of the Rohingya families and the host communities in Cox’s Bazar, CEDAR is partnering with other Integral Alliance’s member agencies to support CCDB to provide following assistance:
Sanitation & Hygiene
- Establish 25 new latrine facilities for 250 households
- On site sludge management for 250 temporary latrines that cover 4,000 households
- Provide hygiene promotion messages to 4,000 households
- Reach out to 4,000 Rohingya households to identify and refer children with moderate to severe acute malnutrition to appropriate clinic for treatment
- Reach 4,000 Rohingya households who have children under 5 with moderate to severe acute malnutrition with nutrition related information, preventive and curative knowledge
Shelter and Non-food Items
- Provide 1,000 Rohingya households and 500 local families with shelter repair and maintenance kits, as well as winterisation kits (including blankets, mats and clothes)
This relief project begins in November for 6 months. The total project budget is HK$2.8 million, partially supported by CEDAR.
Act now! Support our humanitarian response in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh.
Integral Alliance is a global alliance of 23 Christian relief and development agencies, working together to present a more effective response to poverty worldwide. CEDAR Fund is one of the member agencies.
（Please specify : Rohingya Refugee Response）
After donation, please send a completed Donation Form, enclosing with cheque, bank-in slip or screenshot of successful payment along with your name, contact phone number and mailing address to us via mail, email or WhatsApp.
Address: CEDAR Fund, G.P.O. Box 3212, Hong Kong
WhatsApp (for donation matters only): 5160 7549
- CEDAR is an approved charitable institution and trust of a public character under section 88 of the Inland Revenue Ordinance. Please visit Inland Revenue Department website for details.
- CEDAR Fund will issue a receipt for a donation of HK$100 or above for tax deduction. For a donation of less than HK$100, please get in touch with us to issue a receipt.
- Please DO NOT fax any donation information.
If the donation exceeds the above mentioned allocation of funds, the excess amount will be transferred to CEDAR’s ‘Emergency Relief and Disaster Preparedness Fund’. The fund will enable us to respond to immediate needs, and support disaster mitigation in poor nations always being hit by disasters to reduce the amount of devastation.