Cyclone Mocha hit the coastlines of western Myanmar on 14 May. 150 lives were lost as it rampaged through the country. Rakhine state was devastated. More than 5.1 million people were struck by the disaster, many of whom are vulnerable groups, including internally displaced and undocumented persons. Homes, communication towers and road infrastructure were turned into wreckage. The water source was polluted because of the destruction of hundreds of wells and toilets. Many families were deprived of access to safe drinking water and basic sanitation facilities. The residents of Rakhine are tormented by diarrhoea and infectious diseases.
In recent years, the Burmese have been afflicted by the civil war. They have been living under threatened food supply and insecurity. Now the cyclone is adding fuel to the fire. This situation reminds us of what Paul mentioned in his letter to the Corinthians: ‘We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.’ (2 Corinthians 4:8-9).
May those who are suffering remain hopeful. We are grateful to God that we managed to get the relief supplies through to the disaster areas. CEDAR has granted US$18,000 (about HK$141,300) for this relief and is in close cooperation with the Fullmoon Family Foundation (FMFF), our partner in Myanmar. Emergency relief supplies have already reached the villages of Rakhine State. FMFF has gained permission from the local government to cooperate with a local church to ensure the safe arrival of food, medicine, hygiene products and portable water filters to local people in need. Please donate now. The residents of Rakhine are in dire need. Your donation would save them from entrapment, disappointment, abandonment and death.
- Project period: 20 June 2023 to 20 August 2023
- Number of beneficiaries: 855 households (around 4,425 persons)
- Food aid: rice, nutritious soup
- Distribution of medicine to the elderly and the sick
- Distribution of hygiene kits to women
- Provision of portable water filters to 18 villages for accessing safe drinking water and improving hygiene
Banner photo: The Guardian
(Please specify: Myanmar Cyclone Relief)
After donation, please send a completed Donation Form, enclosing with cheque, bank-in slip or screenshot of successful payment along with your name, contact phone number and mailing address to us via mail, email or WhatsApp.
- CEDAR is an approved charitable institution and trust of a public character under section 88 of the Inland Revenue Ordinance. Please visit Inland Revenue Department website for details.
- CEDAR Fund will issue a receipt for a donation of HK$100 or above for tax deduction. For a donation of less than HK$100, please get in touch with us to issue a receipt.
- Please DO NOT fax any donation information.
If the donation exceeds the above mentioned allocation of funds, the excess amount will be transferred to CEDAR’s ‘Emergency Relief and Disaster Preparedness Fund’. The fund will enable us to respond to immediate needs, and support disaster mitigation in poor nations always being hit by disasters to reduce the amount of devastation.